Abilene Landfill Closed: No Search Activity Saturday

ABILENE, Texas - The search for clues in the disappearance of Colorado City 13-year-old Hailey Dunn at the Allied Waste landfill in Abilene did not continue on Saturday, according to the Abilene Police Department.

Officials did not specify why the search was halted on Saturday, or if the search at the landfill would resume.

The gates at the entrance to the landfill are locked and a sign reads "Closed," one day after more than a dozen law enforcement personnel, including cadaver dogs trained to search for decomposing bodies, searched for any remains or evidence related to the case.

Sources told KTXS News that there were two "hits," or possible scent recognitions by the dogs, which were provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. However, it remained unconfirmed Saturday morning whether the dogs actually found evidence related to the case.

More than a dozen law enforcement personnel were involved in the search Friday, including officers with the Abilene Police Department, who were there to help in the search.

Meanwhile, the search for Hailey continued Saturday morning across vast areas in West Texas, with searches being conducted or having been conducted in at least four different counties over the past several days.

There remains a $15,000 reward offered for the return of Hailey.

Volunteer search parties again met and went out into the area surrounding the small community of Dunn, located in southern Scurry County and just 12 miles north of Colorado City.

The volunteers are searching numerous wooded and overgrown areas, including a number of sites of abandoned farm houses, piles of debris and decaying buildings. Searchers look around the property then leave behind orange strips of tape to indicate the area has received at least a preliminary search.

The community of Dunn is also the location of suspect Shawn Adkins, who is living at his grandmother's house there while under 24-hour surveillance by law enforcement personnel.

In an Associated Press exclusive interview published Friday, Adkins said he was not responsible for Hailey's disappearance.

Adkins was the last person to see Hailey alive, claiming that she told him she was spending the night with a friend. However, she never made it to the friend's house -- and they didn't have plans to be together, the friend said.

Law enforcement affidavits used to secure search warrants first acquired and made public by KTXS News earlier this week increased focus on Adkins as a primary suspect.

The affidavits revealed numerous inconsistencies and contradictions in Adkins' statements.

The affidavits also called into question his whereabouts on Dec. 27, the day Hailey went missing.

His statements about being fired from his job, later changed to his quitting on Dec. 27, was contradicted by his employer, who called Adkins a good employee.

Adkins' whereabouts immediately after he abruptly left work on Dec. 27 -- just 10 minutes after arriving there at 6 a.m. -- were contradicted by cell telephone records, which indicate he likely went to Colorado City, rather than Big Spring, as he had claimed.

Details provided in the affidavits suggest about a three-hour gap in knowledge about exactly where Adkins was on Dec. 27.

Adkins is the only named suspect in the case.