MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Abilene man moved into home 2 weeks before devastating fire

house-fire-1505947438447-8655210-ver1-0.jpg

ABILENE, Texas - Debby Sharp rummaged through what ' s left of her friend ' s home Wednesday after a devastating fire Tuesday night.

Her friend, Carl, just moved into the home on the 1400 block of North 6th Street two weeks ago.

Four people were inside the home at the time of the fire. Everyone got out safely except one man, who suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Sharp was also inside, and she said they first thought the smoke was coming from the kitchen. Then she saw a spark in the doorway.

" Within two or three minutes -- matter of fact, while I was on call with 911 -- it had already started, building flames on flames, " Sharp said.

The Abilene Fire Department said the cause of the fire was an improperly discarded cigarette.

Sharp walked around the home in dismay, lifting items covered in ashes. She said her friend will remain with her until he gets back on his feet.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending