Firefighters respond after 10-year-old drops cigarette at Abilene trailer house


ABILENE, Texas - A trailer house caught fire Thursday evening in the 1300 block of Roma Lane after a child dropped a lit cigarette, fire officials say.

The fire started shortly before 8:30 p.m. and the Abilene Fire Department responded after receiving a call that a 10-year-old child lit a cigarette and dropped it in the front bedroom. Emergency crews were able to quickly contain and extinguish the blaze. (MAP)


Fire officials say there was heavy smoke damage throughout the trailer and fire damage in the front room where the cigarette was dropped. Everyone inside got out of the trailer safely.

The victims will be staying with family.

Damage was estimated at $2,000.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off