MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Authorities identify 3 hunters found dead at Brown County deer camp

Three family members were found dead inside this trailer at a deer camp in Brown County.

BROWN COUNTY, Texas - The identities of the three family members who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a deer camp between Brownwood and Bangs were released Tuesday.

John Steve Glass Sr., 69, of Lake Brownwood and his son Bryan Glass, 41, of Temple and grandson 13-year-old Cody of Troy were found dead Saturday afternoon, according to Brown County Chief Deputy James Stroope.

All three were last seen alive on Dec. 28 hunting deer at a ranch located on County Road 151 near Bangs, Justice of the Peace Jim Cavanaugh said.

Chief Deputy Stroope said the ranch's owner won't face any criminal charges and labeled the incident as an "unfortunate accident."

The three men were using a propane tank as a heater, according to the sheriff's office.

Stroope said the men were sleeping in a cargo trailer without sufficient ventilation "which caused the individuals to succumb to what investigators believe to be carbon monoxide poisoning."

Steve Glass' neighbor Proforio Salazar said he was shocked after learning of his friends death.

"He was a wonderful man, he really was," Salazar said.

He described Glass as a person who would give his shirt from off his back to you if you were cold.

Several of his neighbors in the 7000 block of Ballycastle Drive said Bryan and Cody were his only son and grandson.

Salazar said he's surprised by the deaths because glass was a person who put safety first.

"That he didn't catch it, that he didn't check it. He was just a very careful person, he just was," Salazar said. "He didn't do nothing in a hurry."

The ranch's manager found the men lying unconscious on their beds, according to Cavanaugh.

The sheriff's office urges people to have proper ventilation if they decide to use propane heaters in their deer blinds or other out buildings.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include -- dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.

If you begin to experience these symptoms, get fresh air and seek medical treatment.

The Brownwood Fire Department recommends people have carbon monoxide detectors installed near their bedrooms.

Fire Chief Eddy Wood said items such as propane tanks belong outdoors.

"A lot of times people would get creative and try to use an outside heater inside," Wood said. "And that's where we have the improper ventilation issues where we need to make sure we're not putting off too much carbon monoxide."

Wood said people should change the batteries of their smoke detectors every six months.

Trending