Family: Gun taken to school by Clyde student was decorative antique


CLYDE, Texas - The family of the 8-year-old who was caught with an unloaded gun on a Clyde school bus Tuesday says the student made a mistake by taking a non-functional antique.

In a statement sent to KTXS Wednesday night, the family said the firearm that was taken by the student was an "antique, short-bullet revolver that had been passed down generations and was in the possession of [the student's] grandparents."

The family added that the gun was in non-working condition and ammunition for it isn't available anymore. The gun was taken from a shelf that also held other antiques, according to the statement.

The following is the rest of the statement from the student's family:

My children know about gun safety as we have always been very open with them about guns and the risk that they can pose to others. My child made the mistake of thinking this revolver was just as her/his other toys such as her/his "cap guns" because it is just as small as her/his toy guns (small enough to fit in the palm of a child's hand) and she/he knows that all "real" guns are kept locked up in our house.

My child has been wracked with guilt and has been unable to eat due to fear of the consequences of a misunderstanding of the type of item that was taken; in her/his mind, she/he was taking an old toy cap gun to school to show her/his.

As an adult, I can understand the viewpoint that she/he had whenever thinking she/he was taking a "toy" to school. I also understand the severity of the situation and completely support the Clyde School District in the way to which they are handling the situation.

I appreciate their discretion as she/he is a minor and the concern that they have expressed for the overall situation. What we have here is a child who made a mistake in believing an antique, non-operable firearm was a toy cap gun and took it to school to show her/his friends. We do not take this situation lightly and are working with the school district to rectify this situation and ensure that something of this manner does not ever happen again.

I do not believe that we are bad parents who "deserve jail time" or CPS involvement as some have stated. We are very hard-working individuals who do our best to raise our children with the highest level of respect, morals, and honor and value our children's education at Clyde CISD.

This school district has been a God-send to our children and I cannot express enough gratitude to them for the positive impact that they have been making on our children's lives. The staff of Clyde CISD do genuinely have the best interests of our children and others in mind with all decisions that are made; they are a high-achieving school district that has our full support and appreciation for all that they have done and continue to do for the Clyde community.

My child made a mistake and we are working diligently with Clyde CISD to rectify the situation.

Previous Story

An eight-year-old boy was found with a gun Tuesday while riding on a school bus in Clyde.

Clyde Consolidated ISD Interim Superintendent Wes Hays wants parents to know students' safety is their top priority, but a mother and a neighbor we spoke with said they still have questions about this scary situation.

"Well it's scary, you know, kids bring the guns to school, and you hear it on the news in other towns, and you don't expect it to happen here because it's, you know, a small town," said Carrie Young, the mother of a first grader at Clyde Elementary School.

A soon-to-be dad who lives just down the street from the school wants to know how the student got the gun in the first place.

"To let a child have that -- that's terrifying, because a second grader doesn't fully know right from wrong," said Cameron Harness, a Clyde resident.

Clyde Police Chief Robert Dalton said they received information about an 8-year-old student with an unloaded gun on a school bus Tuesday. Dalton said no one was hurt, and the incident is under investigation.

"Our district personnel are looking into it," Hays said. "They are conducting their investigation. We are following the federal, state and the local policies."

Hays said he's not able to give details because the incident involves disciplinary action against a minor. He said the district's investigation should be completed within ten days. Once it's finished, they'll decide how to move forward.

"We want everyone to know, not only the parents of the student involved, but all of our parents of all of our children, that we look on these children as our very own while they're entrusted to our care, and we're going to do whatever's necessary to protect them as much as we possibly can," Hays said.

Young said she's looking forward to some answers.

"See why [the gun] was brought, what was the kid's intention to do with it, and hopefully something will be done," Young said.

Dalton said he believes the student has been suspended. He was not able to say if the child or his parents or guardians are facing any charges at this point.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off