Space heater suspected cause of north Abilene mobile home fire


ABILENE, Texas - A couple in north Abilene got an unwelcome and unwanted wakeup call Tuesday morning. They had to race outside in 40-degree weather about 6 a.m. when their mobile home caught fire.

Flames were shooting out of the roof when firefighters arrived at the mobile home park off I-20 and FM 600.


Stephanie Gonzales told KTXS she woke up to popping noises and discovered their mobile home at 3701 Fortune was on fire.

RELATED: Abilene firefighters offer tips to using space heaters safely

Fortunately, she and Trey Beasley made it out with their dog.

Beasley was taken to the hospital. His injuries are unknown, but the fire department said they are minor.

The fire department said the fire was started by the space heater Gonzales and Beasley was using last night to stay warm.

The mobile home is a total loss.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off