5 injured, no arrests reported yet in Abilene sports bar shooting


ABILENE, Texas - At least five people sustained injuries from a shooting and stabbing assault early Sunday at an Abilene sports bar.

The incident reportedly occurred about 1 a.m. at MC Sports Bar and Taqueria Club in the 4000 block of North 1st Street.

No arrests had been reported as of 9 a.m. Sunday.

Police initially said two men became involved in an argument and that one of the men pulled a weapon and started shooting. Later, police -- in a news release -- said there are four suspects, so it remains unclear what actually transpired.

Of the five victims, three were taken to Hendrick Medical Center in Abilene, one was taken to Abilene Regional Hospital and one refused treatment, according to the Abilene Police Department.

According to police, two victims were stabbed and shot. Three other victims suffered minor injuries "associated with either glass or shrapnel," a news release said.

"The conditions of the victims are believed to be stable, although one had to be taken by care flight to Lubbock," the release said.

The sports bar remained closed Sunday, a day it would normally be open, but a cleaning crew was seen inside.

According to police records, MC Sports Bar has been the site of several arrests in the past year. Abilene police arrested suspects for disorderly conduct and possession of a controlled substance in June 2015, theft from a building and an assault in the parking lot in August 2015, and an assault in December 2015.

KTXS will provide additional details as they become available.

News release from Abilene Police Department:

At 12:56 am on Sunday, June 19, 2016, Police, Fire and MetroCare responded to MC Sports Bar located at 4025 N. 1 st .

Callers indicated that shots had been fired. When Police arrived, multiple persons were found to be injured. Early information indicates two victims were both stabbed and shot by (4) suspects, one of which is known to one of the victims. Three other victims suffered minor injuries associated with either glass or shrapnel. No persons are in custody as of this morning. Motive appears to be criminal in nature. The conditions of the victims are believed to be stable, although one had to be taken by care flight to Lubbock. The investigation continues.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off