MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Additional funds approved for Abilene pet food facility upgrades

five-points-jpg-5113259-ver1-0-5576065-ver1-0.jpg

ABILENE, Texas - More money was approved to be given to Prairie Dog Pet Products for upgrades to its facility at the Five Points Business Park.

Tuesday, the Development Corporation of Abilene approved $145,000 for the company to complete repairs and upgrades to the Spec 3 building in the west Abilene industrial park.

That's on top of the $4.5 million already given to the manufacturer, which produces pet treats made with natural ingredients.

Last November, the council approved $500,000 for repairs after initial estimates were found to be under the actual costs. The original deal allocated $4 million for upgrades and repairs to the facility.

According to a news release, an engineering firm found the building's ventilation and filtration systems "insufficient" and that recent storms produced leaks. The funds approved Tuesday will go toward repairing those issues.

DCOA CEO Kent Sharp said the buildings are only about 75 percent complete before businesses move in, allowing the company to modify and finish building the remaining 25 percent.

Prairie Dog Pet Products is required to invest money back into Abilene at a rate of 8:1, Sharp said at an Abilene City Council meeting in November. According to estimates released by the DCOA, the company could generate $57 million in economic benefit over the next 10 years, $29 million in business with the community, and $4.4 million in revenues for local tax districts.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending