MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Firefighters extinguish blaze at south Abilene home

ross-ave-fire-jpg-5112982-ver1-0-5575877-ver1-0.jpg

ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Fire Department responded to a call of a fire on the roof of a house Wednesday night.

The call was made around 9:50 p.m. and multiple units arrived at the house in the 2500 block of Ross Avenue.

Flames were reportedly seen near the roof toward the front of the house, but firefighters were able to extinguish them quickly after arriving.

The battalion chief at the scene said the fire started on a carport over the driveway before spreading to the attic and the front room of the house.

He said aside from the damage caused by the fire to those areas, smoke damage was present throughout the house.

Neighbors told crews that the house is not vacant, but the battalion chief said the occupant wasn't home at the time. Nobody was reported injured from the fire.

According to a release sent Thursday by Lt. Mike Miller with the AFD, the fire was started by a cigarette that wasn't disposed of properly. Damages were estimated to be $5,000.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending