Gas leak reported near Merkel school
ABILENE, Texas - Construction crews tearing down an old school building in Merkel hit a gas line Tuesday, and the area was blocked off.
UPDATE: The scene has been cleared of any lingering gas, and crews were able to repair the ruptured line in the afternoon.
A strong smell of gas was reported from the area of the Merkel Middle School at 3rd Street and Ash Street. Residents were advised to avoid the area Tuesday.
Lt. John Cummins with the Taylor County Sheriff's Office confirmed the incident to KTXS. Atmos Energy crew members were also reported to be at the location.
According to emergency dispatch, an official on scene advised residents in the area at the time to not start any vehicles.