Taylor County judges remember the life of Malcolm Schulz


ABILENE, Texas - Visitation hours have been set for a prominent Abilene attorney who passed away following a heart attack Saturday.

Malcolm Schulz would have turned 89 in just two weeks. He had been practicing law since his 20s and even up until his death. Schulz took on thousands of family law and criminal cases – many at no expense to his clients.

Visitation for Schulz has been set for 5-7 p.m. Wednesday at The Hamil Family Funeral Home located at 6449 Buffalo Gap Road.

Judge Aleta Hacker of the 326th Judicial District Court told KTXS Schulz was respected for "the professionalism that he showed regardless of whether or not people looked good, smelled good, acted well or could pay him." She said Schulz "really enhanced the whole idea of what a true professional attorney should be."

Judge Sam Carroll of the County Court at Law #2 said he enjoyed swapping stories with Schulz about their days as aviators in the army. He said Schulz served in WW2.

"I think he was a leader in the legal community for the times that he was here," Carroll said. "I think the legacy is he wouldn't give up...he loved what he did and kept doing it to the very end, even [last] Thursday that we talked, he told me about the cases he was looking forward to working on. "

Donna Washburn, who worked as a paralegal for Schulz, said the courthouse will never be the same without Schulz's generosity. She said he would often pay out of his own pocket to put homeless people up in hotels on wintry nights and would even wake up as early as 5 a.m. to feed and carefor the stray cats around the area.

"He was always for the underdog," Washburn said. "He took pro bono cases when we had 9000 of them already and he said ‘hey, well we just now got 9001, let's do this' because he always wanted to help those -- especially women -- who didn't have any way to get representation. And he took that on every single time."

Rain or shine and in sickness or in health, you could always find Schulz at the courthouse. He became known as the "hall monitor."

"He'd go up to people to see if they were his clients but then I think he just started feeling as though people who looked lost needed help and he knew where every office was -- he knew where different people worked in the courthouse -- so he just designated himself as the hall monitor and we got used to relying on him for that," Hacker said. " I don't think there will ever be another Malcolm. No one could take his place."