Westbound I-20 in Abilene finally reopened about 7 p.m. after truck crash and glue spill


ABILENE, Texas - The westbound lane of Interstate 20 was cleared and reopened about 7 p.m. Thursday following an 18-wheeler crash that spilled glue all over the road.

The accident happened just before 7:30 a.m. Thursday and traffic was diverted for more than 10 hours.

The truck that crashed was carrying industrial glue. The truck driver was not injured. The glue was cleaned up by a contract crew but for many hours west interstate traffic was directed off the interstate at the Old Anson Rd. exit and several miles.


Authorities are diverting traffic from the westbound lane of I-20 near Old Anson Road and Grape Street after an 18-wheeler overturned and apparently began leaking potentially hazardous material.

Brian Trail of the Abilene Police Department said the driver of the truck was passing another 18-wheeler in the left lane. He thought he saw the truck begin to list to the left, so the driver moved to the left, and began to go off the road. He pushed back to the right, overcorrected,and tipped over. No collision with any other vehicles were involved, and no injuries were reported.

TxDOT reported significant backup on the highway in a traffic advisory. They encourage drivers in the westbound lanes to take the Highway 277 north exit and make a u-turn at Old Anson Road to get back onto I-20 past the accident.

There is no word on when the crash site will be cleared. TCEQ commission on environmental quality was on the scene.

As of 8 a.m., traffic was backed up for two miles.

Later Thursday afternoon, it was still backed up but not as far.

The two occupants of the 18-wheeler weren't injured.

It was classified as flammable and dangerous if inhaled initial reports. A Hazmat team was called to the scene around 7:30 a.m. Thursday. Authorities called TxDot for a dump truck full of sand to coat over the hazardous materials.

About 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Abilene Fire Department Lt. Mike Miller said: "The truck involved in the wreck this morning on I-20 was carrying and industrial glue (approximately 40 55 gallon barrels). Some of those barrels were damaged and product was released. It was cleaned up by a private contractor and hauled off. There were no injuries."