CLYDE, Texas - A small grass fire threatened three buildings Wednesday evening near Clyde, and while the wind may be partly responsible for starting the fire, it also helped stave off further disaster.
Callahan County Sheriff's Office deputies told KTXS the fire started around 7:30 p.m. on Interstate 20 just west of Buck Creek Road when wind caught sparks from a welder and ignited the dry grass. Deputies said the welder did have a rubber mat and proper safety equipment.
The fire encroached on nearby buildings but ultimately didn't damage them. But the wind also kept the fire from spreading in the direction of Franklin's Big Country RV Outlet, located close to the scene of the fire.
Clyde firefighters arrived at the scene and were able to extinguish the fire around 8 p.m.
Deputies told KTXS no one was injured in the fire.