Abilene woman's ex son-in-law charged with her murder

    Gary Shane Clinton

    The former son-in-law of Lin Rushing has been charged with murder.

    The bond for Gary Shane Clinton, 50, of Abilene, was set at $400,000.

    Rushing was murdered Aug. 31. Her husband found Rushing on the kitchen floor of their home on Pinehurst in south Abilene. A knife was next to her body, according to court documents.

    GALLERY ---> https://bit.ly/2NRKZBf

    Police believe Clinton cut her throat.

    "This was a difficult crime scene," said Chief Stan Standridge. "No citizen should ever be found like that."

    Standridge said the Abilene Police Department's forensic team collected 52 pieces of evidence from the crime scene. One of those items was sent to a lab in Tarrant County for "rapid processing."

    DNA on that unspecified item was matched to Clinton. According to court documents, "the item was found on the floor in a room that looked like it had been disturbed. This stood out because the rest of the house was very clean and orderly."

    Police got those results on Tuesday and then filed the murder charge.

    Larry Rushing last spoke with his wife at 4:23 p.m., less than 30 minutes before he found her body. They had talked about dinner plans.

    A witness told police she saw Clinton in the neighborhood around the time of the murder.

    Surveillance video from a convenience store showed Clinton's car driving on Chimney Rock toward the Rushing's home at 4:19 p.m. It also shows the same car headed north on Buffalo Gap at 4:49 p.m.

    At 5:13 p.m., Clinton was found sitting in the front yard of a home on Picadilly Street near Dyess Elementary. His car was parked in a driveway across the street.

    Clinton, who was barefoot, "appeared disoriented and mentally disabled>" according to court documents. He could not explain why he was at the home.

    Clinton told police he was looking for love and that he had the power of telepathy.

    He was eventually allowed to leave.

    During the investigation, police learned Clinton called the Rushing's home at 4:23 a.m. that morning and left a "weird message" on the answering machine that ended with "don't take this personal."

    The Rushing's daughter told police Clinton was involved in drugs and was abusive to her during their marriage.

    Standridge said Clinton has been estranged from the family for the past 10 years.

    Larry Rushing told police that he had not seen or heard from Clinton in over a decade.

    Two hours before the murder, Clinton was seen burning clothes outside his apartment on Jefferson Street. When police went inside his apartment, they found "burnt items, broken glass, holes in the walls, and forks and hangers stabbed into the walls."

    Clinton was arrested Sept. 4 and charged with criminal mischief for the damage to his apartment.

    During questioning, police asked Clinton about the murder. He claimed he didn't know Lin Rushing.

    Jail records show he has 41 previous arrests.

    As a condition of the bond, Clinton is not allowed to have any contact with Larry Rushing or any other member of the family.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...