Abilene couple that lost their home in a fire could soon be homeless


    (Cortney Brown/KTXS)<p>{/p}

    Ellen Staples and her husband were enjoying an evening watching the monster truck competition at the Taylor County Expo Center on February 1, but their joy quickly turned to heartbreak when they got home later that night.

    "We came back and there was like fire trucks everywhere," said Ellen.

    The Staples' home caught on fire with 20 dogs inside of it.

    "All I could think about were my babies," Ellen said.

    Even though the inside of their house was destroyed by the fire, the Staples' dogs made it out of the house unscathed, with the exception of Tipie and Honey Boo Boo, who died in the fire.

    "The only thing I got out of there was my pictures of my babies," said Ellen.

    For nearly two weeks, the Staples have been living in motels with just eight of their dogs because the rest of their dogs were taken to the Abilene Animal Shelter.

    "I can't let my dogs out," said Ellen.

    Adding further grief and stress to the Staples' lives is the fact that they will not have enough money to keep on staying at motels until they receive their next paychecks, which they are multiple weeks away from getting.

    Ellen said that they have been very thankful for the help that they have been getting from local organizations, but that support will be going away soon.

    "It's depressing and stressful," Ellen said.

    Ellen said that she is worried that she will be homeless with eight pets and no food and is asking for further help from the public until she and her husband can get back on their feet.

    "It's going to take time to get over this mess, I mean you can't just do it all at once," Ellen said.

    Ellen said that they are looking for another house to rent, but until then, she has started a GoFundMe page to collect more donations.

    To help out the Staples family, click here.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...