Coleman family trying to move forward after losing everything in fire


COLEMAN, Texas - A Coleman mother and her four kids are trying to move forward after losing all their possessions in a fire less than two weeks before Christmas.

According to Coleman fire officials, flames destroyed a home on the 900 block of Commercial Avenue after a fire began at a wall outlet and quickly traveled to the attic.

Lessa Ellis remembers when the moment when flames shot out the outlet as soon as she plugged in an old lamp.

Ellis said she immediately grabbed her 6-month-old and 20-month-old children and ran out the house only to watch it all burn down.

"The [American] Red Cross brought a teddy bear for Norah because she always sleeps with a stuffed animal at night, and all of hers are burned up," Ellis said in tears on Friday.

Ellis moved into the house over the summer and had been working on it for the past five months. She said her kids were her family's sixth generation to live in it.

"I was just working at making it into my home and hanging up pictures. I wish I hadn't hung up all the pictures now," Ellis said. "I wish they were still in a box somewhere so they might've made it."

Ellis lived in the house with her four young child and they lost everything they had.

Her 14-year-old and 7-year-old sons were in school at the time of the fire.

But she's not feeling sorry for herself.

"I really can't complain, I can just move forward," Ellis said.

She bought Christmas gifts and refilled her refrigerator two days before the fire. Ellis said their dog is missing. She's brown and white wearing a blue collar.

If anyone wants to drop off donations to the Ellis family, they can do so at the following locations in Coleman:

212 West 9th Street

912 Commercial Avenue

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off